"I cannot imagine anyone better prepared to serve on our school board nor a better lever to help move our schools towards excellence for our kids than Tom.”
– Bob King, Parent, Cedar Park Middle School
Tom is a native Oregonian who attended public schools from kindergarten through college at Portland State University. He has lived in Beaverton for thirteen years with his wife, Jennifer, an elementary school teacher. Previous to serving on the School Board, Tom worked in the Oregon Legislature on education budgeting and bills, and Co-Facilitated the Beaverton School District Music Task Force. He is currently a contract negotiator for LiUNA 483, working with large municipalities including the City of Portland, Port of Portland, and Metro.
Tom has served on the Beaverton School Board for the past two years. Below are a few of his priorities:
• Well-Rounded Education: Beaverton students should receive solid math, science, and literacy instruction, along with arts, music, PE, foreign language, and technology. By providing a range of educational opportunities, we give our students an opportunity to find their passion and a reason to graduate.
• Career Education: As an advocate for career and technical education programs, Tom has worked to ensure students have access to the training to be hired into high demand, living wage jobs.
• Community Outreach: Tom is Chair of the BSD School Board Community Outreach Subcommittee where he leads efforts to connect the broader community to the Board. He believes Beaverton schools should be accessible and welcoming to all students and their families.
• Effective Budgeting: Strong budget decisions require a close eye for detail and input from the community. Tom has pushed for increased transparency in budget documents and more opportunities for community input.